BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Adventures in Stupidity

Well, today started out much like any other. I woke up and all was good. Little did I know that I was about to embark upon an adventure *dun dun da* an adventure in stupidity as I say lol. I was feeding all the little animals around the house.

9 a.m. I had almost finished up and it was the last doggy's turn for food. So I went outside to feed him since he is an outdoor dog. I had forgotten that the previous night I had locked all the doors because I would be home alone and I guess I'm a little paranoid like that. Well the door I went out to feed buddy only locks from the outside. Since I had just woken up I guess I had forgotten this fact and since the door still opened I thought that it was unlocked. I shut the door on my way out (barefooted since I would just be out for a bit) since the indoor cat was not to go outside at all. I put Buddy's food in his bowl and went to go back inside.

The door was locked! Great! All the doors were locked. All the windows shut. I tromped down the dirt road barefooted and still in my pj's to search out a neighbor who would let me use their phone. I walked pretty far (the houses are pretty spread out here) and nobody was home. The family I am staying with would not get home till tomorrow evening. This was just dandy. I live about 10 miles from the main area of town. So I sat and waited because I knew that in this heat I would be worn out quickly. I waited for somebody to drive down the road. I waited for a neighbor to come home. I walked up and down the street some more. A big scary thunder and lightning storm came through. It was loud and close. I could see the lightning closer than I ever had before. I prayed. I prayed hard and long that I would be safe. I prayed that this would work out and that someone would come find me. I waited. I walked down the street again.

Finally someone way down the road was home and let me use their phone. I called 911 because that's all I could think of. They sent out some people to help let me in the house and I was so happy when they pulled up cuz I was expecting them to have a million keys and one would work. Or that they could shimmy something open. Or credit card something. But nope, they had no idea how to get into the house. They called a locksmith which would cost me $90 plus money for driving out here.

Just as they left, my best friend showed up. She had been trying to get a hold of me all day and I had not been answering. I had left me phone in the house since I did not want to get yucky dog food on it. She figured out what was wrong, called the people I'm staying with, found out where the extra key was (which I never woulda found), and saved me. Which took all of ten minutes tops. And she was off. I was sore and tired and hungry but very relieved and grateful. I said a prayer of thanks and went about feeding the animals again, making sure I did not lock myself out again. I made and ate some food. It wasn't the greatest food in the world but it tasted SO good right then.

The locksmith finally showed up almost 2 hours later. The dispatcher had given him a wrong address at first. Anyway, I no longer needed his services. But I still had to pay him for his time and for coming all the way out here. $45. At least it isn't $90. All in all, I was stuck outside for about 6-6 1/2 hours. But I was so glad that it wasn't more.

That was my adventure in stupidity today. Cost me $45 (possibly more later) and I felt like a loser. Learn from this and take what you wish.

0 comments: